TSCA Requirements for Importing Regulated Composite Wood Products

Requirements for Importing Regulated Composite Wood Products

Further to The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) final rule covering Formaldehyde Emission Standards for Composite Wood Products (also known as TSCA Title VI) please be advised of the following in regards to imports of such products into the United States.

TSCA Title VI established national formaldehyde emission standards, and a third-party certification system, for regulated composite wood products (i.e., panels) including hardwood plywood, particleboard, and medium-density fiberboard to ensure those panels are compliant in panel form before being sold to end users or fabricated into component parts or finished goods (e.g., furniture, cabinets, picture frames, toys, and many other goods).

Effective March 22, 2019, regulated composite products and finished goods manufactured in or imported into the United States must be

  1. Certified as TSCA Title VI compliant by an EPA TSCA Title VI Third Party Certifier (TPC) and labeled as such; and
  2. Importers of these regulated products must provide a TSCA Statement at time of entry to the EPA as found at 19 CFR 12.121(a)

Additionally, within 30 calendar days of request from the EPA, importers must make available to the EPA certain records that document compliance with TSCA Title VI, as outlined in 40 CFR 770.30(b).

If Rohlig USA is your nominated Customs Broker required TSCA statements will be electronically transmitted to EPA on your behalf by Rohlig USA via U.S. Custom’s ACE system. Prior to transmission Rohlig USA will require each importer client to provide a written TSCA statement via e-mail or included on the commercial invoice. In addition to the statement we will need the name, phone number, and e-mail address of the importer’s certifying individual.

Background on the EPA TSCA Title VI regulation, including webinars, compliance guides, and frequently asked questions can be accessed on the EPA formaldehyde webpage here: https://www.epa.gov/formaldehyde. If you have any questions related to the EPA’s TSCA Title VI program, contact Todd Coleman at 202-564-1208 or coleman.todd(at)epa.gov.

Rohlig USA, LLC